RightsCon Code of Conduct
RightsCon Code of Conduct
October 2017: The RightsCon Code of Conduct is under active review in preparation for RightsCon Toronto 2018. If you have any comments on how this policy can be improved, your suggestions are welcome at[email protected](PGP Key).
RightsCon is a special event that brings together hundreds of people from around the world to discuss the future of the open internet. Many of the topics are complex and contested. Here are a couple of underlying principles that help to ensure that the conversations and experiences at RightsCon are respectful, honest, and open:
- Act fairly, honestly, and in good faith with other participants;
- Listen actively (especially if you have the loudest voice);
- Engage in conversations which challenge your world views;
- Act with integrity and respect even when you disagree;
- Facilitate transparency and openness as much as possible;
- Assist in creating a welcoming and respectful environment, by following instructions from our staff and volunteers;
- Respect the privacy rights of participants that do not wish to be photographed or quoted;
- Everyone attending RightsCon, irrespective of nationality, gender, racial or ethnic origin, religion or beliefs, disability, age, or sexual orientation, has the right to be free from harassment (seeour policy).
RightsCon Anti-Harassment Policy
- RightsCon has an Anti-Harassment policy(here): harassment of any kind will not be tolerated;
- Any harassing or disrespectful behaviour, comments, messages, images or interactions by any participant will not be tolerated;
- You should report any unusual or inappropriate activity directly to one of our staff or to the contact below;
- Access Now reserves the right to revoke privileges of any offending individual or party at any time and determine on what basis this decision is made, such as prior conduct, activity, or incidents unrelated to RightsCon that violate this Code of Conduct;
- Most venues at RightsCon Toronto 2018 are open to the public, therefore we encourage all the participants to stay alert to avoid unexpected situations.
Code of Conduct and Anti-Harassment Policy Response Process
When there has been an incident or breach of this code, the Access Now team will confidentially review and respond to any participant who has experienced harassment, inappropriate behavior, or a violation of the code of conduct. Key staff on our operations and management teams have been tasked to independently review matters with discretion and impartiality, to convene members of our management team, and to report recommended action given the specific details of the situation. The final decision on any disciplinary action will be made by executive management and communicated to those involved.
Please email us at[email protected] (PGP ID: 0x7282324C) with any questions or concerns you may have throughout the duration of the event. Anonymous complaints can be reported to (+32) 473 62 50 74 or submittedhere.This code of conduct applies equally to the RightsCon conference, RightsCon online community networking platform, and to all RightsCon-related events including side events and parties.Participation at the RightsCon conference and all related events and online platforms implies agreement to this code of conduct and its related policies.For more information on what constitutes harassment, and the processes by which Access Now reviews and responds to reports of harassment, please refer to theAccess Now Anti-Harassment Policy.